6 Annoying Questions Every Homeschooler Is Asked

Hello, everybody, how are you doing? How’s your day been? How’s the weather?

Just kidding, yall can’t talk until the end of the post. 😦

So, Monday is Martin Luther King Jr. Day, the time when all those public schoolers get a day off of school. They run outside in the cold and play for hours, totally ignoring the poor, imprisoned homeschoolers who are watching from their desks. Lucky ducks.

Thinking about it was enlightening. No, they’re not very lucky. They’re not homeschooled. Just to explain what ‘homeschooling’ is takes soooo much energy. If you’re homeschooled, you probably know what I mean; sometimes, they ask the weirdest questions, and then you have to repeat your answer five times because homeschool lingo is too complicated somehow.

Therefore, here are six annoying questions you’re asked as a homeschooler by those ‘lucky’ public schoolers. I feel like I have a large homeschool and Co-Op audience, so here’s to you. *bows*

How do you learn stuff?

Uh… how do you learn stuff?

I think what they’re really asking is how/if our parents teach us without being ‘real’ teachers. Honestly, my mother never taught me exclusively — it was a combination of her, my brother, piles of worksheets, and teachers on DVDs. Now that I’m older, I teach myself by researching and reading textbooks. My brother and I help each other when we get stuck — he mans the math/science field, while I specialize in English. Siblings are critical in homeschooling.

Yanno, unless they’re wrong.

img_1267

How do you make friends?

Just because we homeschoolers don’t go to school doesn’t mean we don’t go anywhere else on the planet. There’s plenty of other places where you can meet people and see them often!

There are more than a half dozen different examples from my life, and I don’t even consider myself that social!

• Church (Sunday School & Youth Group)
  • Discipleship group
  • Children’s Choir staff
  • Acting Company
  • …more acting stuff
  • Karate studio
  • literally every other place I go on a regular basis.

What’s Co-Op?

Co-Op is where you do school from home 1-4 days, then go to a physical school the remaining days. It’s a very simple answer, but everyone seems to be confused by it.

Why aren’t you in school?

75% of the time, this is asked by the lady at the checkout of your grocery store. I don’t blame them for wanting to make conversation at what could be an awkward exchange, but it gets annoying. After a while, it sounds like an interrogation.

Checkout lady: YOU CAN’T IGNORE THE EVIDENCE, YOUNG LADY. YOU’RE HERE, WHILE ALL OTHER REGULAR CHILDREN ARE IN THEIR RIGHTFUL PLACE AT SCHOOL. WHY ARE YOU HERE? WHY? WHY?!?!

Innocent homeschooler: I don’t know anything, I swear! Just don’t hurt me!

Checkout lady: Of course you don’t know anything; YOU AREN’T IN SCHOOL!

…this is entertaining to me, if you cannot tell.

Do you make your own bread?

flynn again

(i love flynn way too much)

First of all, I don’t know how I want to address this question. I don’t make bread, and if I did, I couldn’t eat it anyway…?

There are plenty of families, homeschooled or not, who make their own bread. It’s healthier than regular bread, and is supposed to taste better, too. But, a large amount of homeschoolers I know eat gluten-free, either for allergies or overall health. So the ‘homeschoolers making bread’ myth is almost contradicting.

Do you wish you could go to ‘regular’ school?

You know what? I don’t. Why?

• I like learning at my own pace and in the way that best suits me
  • I like being able to work ahead and take days off
  • I like setting my own schedule
  • I like not waking up at 6am every day
  • I like learning about the things I want to learn about

Creative Writing is included in my school, which means I get to write on this blog and my novel(s) for college credits. I don’t know if this is true in public school, too, but I think it’s pretty neat!

There ya go – six of the most irritating homeschooler questions you can ask. Now, never, under any circumstances, ask these to a homeschooler, especially if you yourself are a homeschooler. That’s almost as bad as cannibalism.

*wonders how this post took such a violent turn*

Umm, BTdubs, have you checked out the other pages on the blog yet? There’s still plenty of space for buttons on the Blogs page. I’d love to meet you (and start a Ninjago conversation) on the Guestbook! And you can steal check out my WIPs on the My Writing page!

that was an ad from me to you you’re welcome!!

Comment me up – have you ever been pelted with these stupid questions?? And aren’t they just ANNOYING??

If not, you are 75% likely to be a public schooler, and I’m sorry for you. :/

59 thoughts on “6 Annoying Questions Every Homeschooler Is Asked

1. mckenna says:

i have been asked these. how do i make friends?? just because i’m homeschooled doesn’t mean i have no social life! good grief. i know an insane amount of people that go to the highschool right by my house, and people always ask me how that’s even possible.

people also tend to ask me if my mom stands up in front of all of us to teach. i’m like, no???

this was a fun post to read 🙂 super relatable

☾☼

mckenna

2. Sarah Baran says:

Wow, I haven’t gotten the bread question yet. Seriously, BREAD? What does that even have to do with someone’s manner of education?

Once, my sister was helping put together a church activity, and one of the ladies was like, “Be sure to invite your friends—Oh wait, you’re homeschooled.” Why is life so hard.

3. Arabella says:

I’m public school, but I’m considering homeschool for when I have kids. Oh, so that’s co-op? I had thought of the idea, but didn’t know it was co-op, if you know what I’m saying.

4. Bella says:

This post was so relatable! I always get asked “Why aren’t you in school” and “how do you make friends?” It’s annoying! 🙄 Great post, Abby! 🙂

5. Zielle says:

YAAAAASSSS! Thank you!! I needed to read something like this. And also, “Are you still homeschooled? I feel sorry for you because you don’t have any friends.” groans UGH this one is really annoying even if it’s not really a question. 😛 They just assume since we do school at home we have no possible way of getting any friends… 😛

6. Julia says:

OH MAN YES ANNOYING!!! I mean, I personally DO have to get up at 6 in the morning (😭) but hey, I get to eat snacks during school. Which is good, because I get hungry. But when you’re sick, you still have to do it. 😂 And little kids can’t use the ‘I-don’t-feel-well-so-I-can’t-go-to-school’ excuse either. Once, though, a mailman who was delivering a package asked our mom why her daughter (one of my older sisters) wasn’t in school. In a nice-ish way. But still. 😂

7. Ruth Meyer says:

I’m so glad I was homeschooled, Abby, it’s the best! Setting aside ALL stereotypes for homeschoolers, public schoolers, and private schoolers for a moment… I believe the most important factor to anyone’s education is parental involvement. I will never be persuaded otherwise. No one can teach you better than the people who care for you, know who you really are at all times, and desire the best for your future. I know I’ve been spoiled by absolutely amazing godly parents, and not everyone has that. Two of the biggest advantages I feel I have in life, that I owe to my homeschooled upbringing… 1. I learned how to teach myself. My parents wanted us six kids not just to learn our three R’s, but how to use them to learn whatever we wanted to. We were always encouraged to go for our interests and hobbies, and always keep learning. 2. I learned how to socialize with and learn from anyone of any age and background. Because we were always in different grades dependent on subject (I was always ahead in reading and spelling), we learned never to associate age and grade. I always thought it was weird when kids, teens, and college students would group together in cliques of the same grade/class. I wanted to talk to all of them, but always felt like some thought I was too old, and others thought I was too young, so I was always the odd one out. Now that I’m out of college, I try to be open to talking and spending time with my younger friends especially, so I never let them feel like I did. Woah, this is a long comment. Hope you don’t mind, Abby. Homeschooling is a topic I care about. 🙂

oh no dude, I love your comments!! And homeschooling is a great topic to talk about 😀

Self teaching is one of the best things about homeschool, especially since that’s what you do in college (or at least what my brother does). Plus yes the freedom to choose what/how you learn depending on your interests!

I’ve actually been through every grade at specific ages like ‘normal’ school to avoid confusion in other places (like 10 years old was 5-6th grade) but like you I’m really different in every subject. That’s really cool that you had all those different age groups to connect with 😊 I’m in highschool and just now started talking to kids in other grades. I’m kind of jealous now?? anyway that’s really neat.

8. Anna J Jacobson says:

This post was very entertaining. I was homeschooled once while recovering from surgery, but at the time my school curriculum that they were using made it really easy to do the same work at school at home. My Mum has a friend who homeschool her kids and I think it’s really cool how you can learn more stuff that interests you. Anyway… great post. 😀

9. Zella T says:

I go to private online school, but when I was homeschooled (like with books at the kitchen table) I never got the grocery store question….y’all must go to the groceries in the morning or something. Even now, I don’t go to the groceries with my mother anymore, and my online school has a name so when I’m asked where I go to school, I just say that name. It makes things so much simpler…..

10. The Dolphin Violinist says:

PREEAACCHHH SISTER 👐👐

I haven’t got the bread one yet 😂 but the one I always get is the “whoah do you get to stay in your PJs all day?” 😅
    Every.