After NaNoWriMo, it’s kinda hard to regain that passion for writing.
You’ve spent 720 hours spilling your guts onto a page, brainstorming how the heck this book is gonna end, and finding spare moments to type away. I get it. It’s exhausting to write. And when it’s over you feel like taking a nap for the next thirty days. Or just hibernating through the winter. Whichever comes first.
That’s why me, Clara, and Charis started Write Christmas, a competition for all ages and stages of writing! The goal was to get people back to writing after NaNo and throw in a fun competition. It was so, so fun getting to read everyone’s amazing entries last year, and our participants had fun improving their skills and earning some bragging rights! 😉
I’m thrilled to announce the second annual Write Christmas competition! This year, Clara and I collaborated to bring you not one, but TWO chances at recapture that passion for creativity. And, this year, you have a chance at winning a $15 Amazon card! Let’s get to the details to get started 🤗
This year’s event will be just like last year’s, but a little more simplified (for both of our sakes, haha!). What happens is…
- i give you three character prompts, three writing prompts, and three setting prompts. you must use one of each, but you’re free to use them however you like!
- you write a super cool story and send it to me through my email (email@example.com) with the subject ‘Write Christmas’. you may also post it on your own blog, just make sure i see it!
- i will announce the top three winners on december 14th, and that’s it!
story rules 🎄
- NO-NO TO INAPRO-PRO. profanity, violence, sexual content, and anything of the like will be disqualified. romance is just fine, but be mindful of boundaries 😉
- you must use at least one prompt of each category.
- please keep that word count between 600 and 1000 words. i love long stories, but i can’t read 15 of them so fast!
- your entry must be christmas-themed, but take creative liberty with it! some prompts are christmas themed to help you along.
- the competition closes on wednesday, december 12 at 11:95pm, EST. be sure to get your story in before then!
I will be judging the competition by myself this year, and I’m soooo excited! I’ll take into account how unique your story is, how well it’s written, and if you used the minimum number of prompts. My greatest advice for you is to BE CREATIVE! My favorite stories are the ones with lots of thought put into them, even just short stories.
story prompts ⛄
Let’s get to the fun part — prompts! We’re looking for creativity here, so take these prompts and have fun imagining the possibilities 🎉
writing prompts (pick one)
1. she’s alone for christmas, and somehow it hurts more and more every year.
2. “love, your secret santa… p.s., i meant that. i love you.”
3. a gift. that was all he was here for. nothing else.
character prompts (pick one)
setting prompts (pick one)
Now that you’ve got your prompts…. it’s time to write, and possibly win! Last year, we gave away mentions and buttons. That’s cool, I guess, but there’s been better. Liiiike a $15 Amazon gift card to use on anything you want! 1st-3rd place will have their stories posted on my blog, and in addition, first place will receive that Amazon credit. All three winners will be announced on Friday, December 14th right here on the blog.
“but abby what do i do after sending off my story?? just wait two weeks for results??”
HAHA THANKS FOR ASKING, IMAGINARY READER VOICE. There’s actually ANOTHER way to win a $15 Amazon card! Clara over at Clara & Co is hosting her own Christmas competition for photographers — Capturing Christmas Photography Challenge! That’s right, you have TWO places to win. All the details are over on her blog, so make sure to participate in both!
WOW THIS IS FUN OKAY. Last year’s competition was awesome, but this one’s bound to be even better! I’m beyond excited to see what you come up with. Get writing, love!
What do you think?? Did you participate in last year’s Write Christmas? Will this be your first time? Either way, it’s going to be awesomeee! What’s your favorite prompt? I like the doggo, haha! OFF TOPIC BUT ITS THE LAST DAY OF NANOWRIMO! Are you cramming in those last few hundred words?? You got this, my friend!!